Musical Theater Unit Music Assessment:
Moving Melodies (Pitch)
Various song recordings, paper, writing/coloring utensils, rhythm sticks
1. Practice singing high and low pitches through call and response.
2. Practice tracing the shapes of the melodies with your finger in the air and/or rhythm stick.
3. Drawing the examples below on a board, have students trace each melodic line with their finger and/or rhythm stick and sing the changes in high and low pitches.
4. Sing or play different song recordings with a variety of highs, lows, and melodic directions.
Have students trace the melody in the air as they listen or sing along.
5. Using writing/coloring utensils, have students trace the melody they hear or sing along to on paper as you sing or play different song recordings.