Concert Preparation: The First Concert
The First Concert
- Review the diverse artists the students have encountered so far this fall.
- Brenton and Freddie (Ring Shout)
- Jimmy (Bluegrass)
- Kim (Jazz)
- Look at SG20 and have students find the artists and genres represented on the map.
- What do you remember about the artists and their music?
- Brainstorm a list of responses with the students.
- Listen to a brief excerpt by each of these artists on the Musical Explorers CD (or online audio).
- What musical opposites have we learned from these artists?
- As a class, brainstorm some questions the students could consider during the concert. Have the students try to answer the questions for one another after attending the performance.
- Lead a discussion with students about the roles of performer and audience member (or listener)
during a concert. Brainstorm ideas about these roles and document them on chart paper. Have students narrow down the list by voting on their favorite two ideas per role.
- Divide the class in half, with one half acting as performers and the other half acting as audience members for a song from Musical Explorers. Facilitate a reflective discussion with students about how each group did. Invite the groups to share one aspect of what they liked and one thing that could be improved for themselves and the other group. Perform the song again, switching so that the students take on the opposite role. Repeat the reflection.
Let’s Go to the Savannah Music Festival
The Bus Driver now takes us from each of our artists’ home towns to the Savannah Music Festival, where
we will meet and hear our singers. Have students turn to SG21 and help them do the following:
- Find Brenton and Freddie in Darien, Georgia; Jimmy in Bluffton, South Carolina; and Kim in Richmond Hill, Georgia.
- Find the Savannah Music Festival and the Lucas Theatre for the Arts in downtown Savannah.
- Complete the maze that takes each of the singers from their home towns to the Savannah Music Festival and the Lucas Theatre for the Arts.
- After the concert, ask students to draw a picture of a favorite moment (SG22) and
write a letter to their favorite artist (SG23). Share these letters with Brenton, Freddie, Jimmy, and Kim c/o Savannah Music Festival, 200 East Saint Julian Street, Suite 601, Savannah, GA 31401 or email@example.com.
SG20 ↓ Download File
SG21 ↓ Download File
SG22 ↓ Download File
SG23 ↓ Download File
Arrival/Dismissal Procedures ↓ Download File
Concert Etiquette ↓ Download File
Lucas Theatre Parking Map ↓ Download File