Concert Preparation, Semester 1
The First Concert
- Review the diverse artists the students have encountered so far.
- Laiken (Soul Music)
- Megan, Drew, and Kelli (Cajun Music)
- J.J. (Musical Theatre)
- Look at SG22 and have students identify the artists and genres represented on the map.
- What do you remember about the artists and their music?
- Brainstorm a list of responses with the students.
- Listen to a brief excerpt by each of these artists on the Musical Explorers CD (or online audio).
- What musical opposites have we learned from these artists?
- As a class, brainstorm some questions the students could consider during the concert. Have the students try to answer the questions for one another after attending the performance.
- Lead a discussion with students about the roles of performer and audience member (or listener) during a concert. Brainstorm ideas about these roles and document them on chart paper. Have students narrow down the list by voting on their favorite two ideas per role.
- Divide the class in half, with one half acting as performers and the other half acting as audience members for a song from Musical Explorers. Facilitate a reflective discussion with students about how each group did. Invite the groups to share one aspect of what they liked and one thing that could be improved for themselves and the other group. Perform the song again, switching so that the students take on the opposite role. Repeat the reflection.
Let’s Go to the Savannah Music Festival
Melody now takes us from each of our artists’ hometowns to the Savannah Music Festival, where we will meet and hear our singers. Have students turn to SG23 and help them do the following:
- Find Laiken in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina; Megan, Drew, and Kelli in Lafayette, Louisiana; and J.J. in Port Wentworth, Georgia.
- Find the Savannah Music Festival and the Trustees Theater in downtown Savannah.
- Complete the maze that takes each of the singers from their Hometowns to the Savannah Music Festival and the Trustees Theater.
- After the concert, ask students to draw a picture of a favorite moment (SG24) and write a letter to their favorite artist (SG25). Share these letters with Laiken, Megan, Drew, and Kelli, and J.J. c/o Savannah Music Festival, 200 East Saint Julian Street, Suite 601, Savannah, GA 31401 or email@example.com.