Lesson 1: Becoming Musical Explorers
Aim: What can Musical Explorers do?
Introduce the “Musical Explorers Song”
- Introduce Melody on SG1.
- Where is our school on this map?
- As we explore our region, what kinds of music do you think we might find?
- Introduce students to the Musical Explorers program by singing the “Musical Explorers Song” ( Track 1)
- Learn the “Musical Explorers Song” sign language, SG3.
Explore Musical Opposites
- This year, students will explore musical opposites.
- What is an opposite? Where do we find opposites?
- Collect words and ideas that students associate with opposites, such as hot and cold, full and empty, big and small, day and night, and tall and short.
- Create a class definition for the word opposite.
- What are some things that are different, but not exactly opposites?
- How do we know when something is an opposite and not just different?
- This year, we will explore opposites that we hear in music. What musical opposites do you think we might hear?
Musical Word Wall
Add the words explorer and opposite to the Musical Word Wall.