Lesson 1: Learning “I Got You (I Feel Good)”
|Aim: How can we explore steady beat and rhythm with “I Got You (I Feel Good)?”
Summary: Students learn to sing and move along to “I Got You (I Feel Good)” while building vocabulary to describe musical opposites and differences.
Materials: Musical Explorers CD or online audio, Rhythm Sticks (optional)
Time Required: 40 minutes (four 10-minute activities)
Standards: GA: MK-2GM.1, MK-2GM.4, MK-2GM.6, MK-2GM.7, MK-2GM.6, MK-2GM.9, MK-2GM.10
SC: MGK-2.1, MGK-2.2, MGK-2.3, MGK-2.4, MGK-2.5, MGK-2.6
Vocabulary: steady beat, rhythm, long/short, pulse
- Meet Laiken on SG6.
Sing “I Got You (I Feel Good)”
- Listen to Laiken sing “I Got You (I Feel Good)” ( Track 7).
- Invite students to sing along with Laiken.
Explore the Steady Beat in “I Got You (I Feel Good)”
- Explain to your students that the steady pulse you feel in music is called the steady beat.
- Using SG7, help students find the steady beat in “I Got You (I Feel Good)”.
- Ask students to clap their hands with the steady beat as they listen to the song.
- Next, ask students to stand and march to the beat of the music.
Explore Rhythm in “ I Got You (I Feel Good)”
- Explain to your students the difference between steady beat and rhythm. Rhythm is a pattern of long and short sounds that are in a song.
- Everyone’s heart makes their own beat; it’s called a pulse. Place your finger on your neck to see if you can feel your pulse.
- The beat in music is the steady pulse that you feel in the tune just like your heartbeat, or the ticking of a clock.
- The rhythm is the pattern of long and short sounds in a song. The words in a song have a different rhythm than the steady beat.
- Keep a steady beat in your feet while singing and clapping the rhythm of the lyrics of the song.
|Soul music derives from Rhythm and Blues (R&B), a form of African-American popular music that arose during the 1940s. R&B and Soul Music are influenced by the earlier genres of music, such as blues, gospel, and jazz.|
Creative Extension: What Makes You Feel Good?
Laiken’s song is about feeling good! Using SG8, draw a picture of something that makes you feel good! If you had a song about that thing, what would it sound like?
Musical Word Wall
Add the words steady beat, rhythm, long/short, and pulse to the Musical Word Wall.
SG6 ↓ Download File
SG7 ↓ Download File
SG8 ↓ Download File