Concert Preparation, Semester 2
The Second Concert
- Review the diverse artists the students have encountered so far.
- Falu (Music of India)
- Heidi (Art Songs)
- Gino (Salsa Music)
- Look at SG42 and have students identify the artists and genres represented.
- What do you remember about the artists and their music?
- Brainstorm a list of responses with the students.
- Listen to a brief excerpt by each of these artists on the Musical Explorers online audio.
- What musical opposites have we learned from these artists?
- As a class, brainstorm some questions the students could consider during the concert. Have the students try to answer the questions for one another after attending the performance.
- Lead a discussion with students about the roles of performer and audience member (or listener) during a concert. Brainstorm ideas about these roles and document them on chart paper or on the board. Have students narrow down the list by voting on their two favorite ideas per role.
- Divide the class in half, with one half acting as performers and the other half acting as audience members for a song from Musical Explorers. Facilitate a reflective discussion with students about how each group did. Invite the groups to share one aspect of what they liked and one thing that could be improved upon for themselves and the other group. Perform the song again, switching so that the students take on the opposite role. Repeat the reflection.
Let’s Go to the Savannah Music Festival
Melody now takes us from each of our artists’ hometowns to the Savannah Music Festival, where we will meet and hear our singers. Have students turn to SG43 and help them do the following:
- Pick up Falu at the airport; find Heidi in Beaufort, South Carolina; and find Gino in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Find the Savannah Music Festival and the Lucas Theatre in downtown Savannah.
- Complete the maze that takes each of the singers from their hometowns to the Savannah Music Festival and the Lucas Theatre.
- After the concert, ask students to draw a picture of a favorite moment (SG44) and write a letter to their favorite artist (SG45). Share these letters with Falu, Heidi, and Gino c/o Savannah Music Festival, 200 East Saint Julian Street, Suite 601, Savannah, GA 31401 or e-mail email@example.com.