Lesson 2: Exploring “Hoe-Down”
|Aim: How can we explore the instruments in the brass family while listening to the steady beat in music?
Summary: Students learn the instruments in the brass family. Students learn to gallop to “Hoe-Down” while building vocabulary to describe American brass band music.
Materials: Musical Explorers CD or online audio
Time Required: 40 minutes (four 10-minute activities)
Standards: GA: MK-2GM.1, MK-2GM.6, MK-2GM.7, MK-2GM.8, MK-2GM.9, MK-2GM.10, SC: MGK-2.1, MGK-2.4, MGK-2.5, MGK-2.6
Vocabulary: brass family, hoedown, gallop
Explore brass instruments in “Hoe-Down”
- Listen to “Hoe-Down,” Track 9
- Mike and his friends all play instruments in the brass family. Identify the brass instruments on SG8. Brass instruments are made of metal. Brass musicians make sound by buzzing into a mouthpiece.
- Listen to Mike and his friends each play his or her instrument. How do they sound alike? How do they sound different?
Track 10: trumpet
Track 11: trombone
Track 12: French horn
Track 13: tuba
- We buzz into the mouthpiece by vibrating our lips together. Practice buzzing by making an “okay” sign with your hand, cupping your lips with your first two fingers, and vibrating your lips together.
- Listen to Mike play “Hoe-Down” with only his mouthpiece, Track 14
Now listen to him play the melody with his mouthpiece and French horn, Track 15
Explore Movement in “Hoe-Down”
- Listen to “Hoe-Down,” Track 9, again
- How does this music make you want to move?
- What do you imagine when you hear this music?
- A hoedown is a party, usually held in the country or on a farm, where dancing is included. The party was held after a harvest, and is called a “hoedown” because farmers would literally lay their hoes on the ground and stop working.
- Demonstrate a gallop to your students . Ask them to identify a part of the song that sounds like horses galloping.
- Encourage your students to gallop and explore moving to the steady beat of “Hoe-Down.”
|Barn Dance by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault tells the story of a boy on a farm who discovers animals dancing in the middle of the night. Read the story to your students and then ask them to imagine the different animals dancing while they listen to “Hoe-Down.”|
Musical Word Wall
Add the words brass family, hoedown, and gallop to the Musical Word Wall.
SG8 ↓ Download File
Musical Explorers Audio Tracks