Unit 3: Blues with Eric
Find Eric’s Hometown
Melody now takes us on a journey from Pooler to Tybee Island, Georgia to meet our next musician, Eric. Using SG17, help students do the following:
- Locate Rebecca in Pooler, Georgia.
- Locate Eric in Tybee Island, Georgia.
- Complete the activity.
- Stomping the Blues by Albert Murray
- Nothing But the Blues: The Music and the Musicians by Larry Cohn
- Where Did You Sleep Last Night: Lead Belly Legacy, Vol. 1 (Smithsonian Folkways)
- The Definitive Collection: Howlin’ Wolf (Geffen Records)
Additional Teaching Resources:
- “The Blues Classroom,” on PBS Education (pbs.org/theblues/classroom.html). PBS.org has several resources for learning about and teaching the blues.
- “Lead Belly and His Legacy of Southern Song,” on Smithsonian Folkways Recordings: Learn (folkways.si.edu/learn). Smithsonian Folkways Records has a number of lesson plans designed around the traditional and folk music of North America, including blues musician Lead Belly.
SG17 ↓ Download File