Unit 6: African-American Gospel and Spirituals with Huxsie
Find Huxsie’s Hometown
Melody will now take us on a journey from Nashville, Tennessee to Savannah, Georgia to meet our last singer for the year, Huxsie. Have students turn to SG34 and help them do the following:
- Locate Carolyn and Jake in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Locate Huxsie in Savannah, Georgia.
- Complete the activity.
- Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People by Sarah Bradford
- On My Journey Now: Looking at African-American History Through the Spiritual by Nikki Giovanni
- Wade in the Water: African-American Sacred Music Traditions Vol. I-IV (Smithsonian Folkways Recordings)
- Aretha Franklin, Amazing Grace (Atlantic)
Additional Teaching Resources:
- The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center has a number of lesson plans and classroom resources available online for grades K-12 (freedomcenter.org/educators).
- “Singing for Justice: Following the Musical Journey of ‘This Little Light of Mine’” Smithsonian Folkways Recordings: Learn (folkways.si.edu/learn). Smithsonian Folkways Recordings has a number of lesson plans designed around the traditional and folk music of North America.
SG34 ↓ Download File