Before the Digital Concert
Review the three artists and their music.
- Look at SG24 and have students find the artists and regions represented on the map.
- What do you remember about the artists and their music?
- As you discuss the music, use the passport activity on SG25 and SG26 to discuss the countries your class has “traveled” to and everything the class has learned about their cultures and music.
- Listen to each song.
- Brainstorm with students about how to be active listeners, enthusiastic performers, and successful audience members during the concert.
Prepare for the digital concert.
- Explain to your students that this will be a digital concert, and that all the artists will be filming the concerts from their homes.
- Ask students to guess where the artists will be calling from.
- What do you think will happen at the concert?
- Do you think the artists will perform by themselves, or with friends?
- Which songs do you think we will dance to? When do you think we will sing along?
- During the concert, artists will be answering select questions from students. You can email email@example.com with these questions, or students can send them directly to us! Please be sure to include your school name and the student’s first name with any questions you submit.
Prepare for the surprise songs.
- At the concert, each of the artists will sing a surprise song that the students have not heard or studied. These songs are selected to complement the two songs in the curriculum and to provide students with an active listening experience as they encounter new music for the first time in a concert setting.
- Explain to students that they are in for some exciting surprises during the concert because there will be three songs that they have never heard before.
- Ask students to guess what the surprise songs by each artist will be like.
- Will they be fast or slow? Quiet or loud?
- Will there be movement or dancing?
- Explain that you will be seeing how much they remember about the surprise songs after the concert.
After the concert
- Discuss the overall concert experience.
- Discuss the surprise songs.
- What surprise songs do you remember?
- What do you remember about these songs? Were they slow or fast, long or short?
Was there movement to do? Was there any part that you sang along with?
- Which was your favorite surprise song and why?
- Reflect on your concert experience by asking students to draw a picture of a favorite moment (SG27) and write a letter to their favorite artist (SG28). Share these letters with Falu, Gregorio, and Etienne c/o Savannah Music Festival, 200 East Saint Julian Street, Suite 601, Savannah, Georgia 31401.